About Me

My photo
The name of the game is "Talk". The player is Jann. The challenger is you. You ask questions, I answer. I share my interests, and you express opinions. I agree or disagree, you place a rebuttal. If you don't like what I have to say, I don't much care, but debating might be fun.

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Sukysho [ANIME REVIEW] Spoiler Alert


Full Name of Show: 好きなものは好きだからしょうがない!! (Suki na Mono wa Suki Dakara Shōganai!!)

I recently just finished watching this anime which is a ten thirteen part series if you include the OVA. As far as my knowledge extends and through various sources I have learned that Sukysho is not only an anime but a light novel and was originally released as a game. I have less than a considerable amount of information on this, however, so this review will be based solely on the anime.

The story that developed throughout this anime was a heart wrenching one where plot twists popped out everywhere as well as side stories of romance. Relationships were built, lost and found and I was constantly on the edge of my seat with a box of tissues ready and a nail to bite on.

To say that this story is exciting is an understatement. Although it does limit itself to a certain audience by presenting itself as a Shonen-Ai style anime, it does not lack at all in character development, originality, quality of art and complexity of story.

The story itself is about two boys (Sora and Nao; Sora being the one with blue hair while Nao is the pink haired feller) who have essentially grown up with each other but an event caused them to separate for a long period of time. It starts at a school where Sora gets released from a hospital after falling from a fourth story window. He is presented with a new room mate (Nao) who is, in that time, in the mindset of Ran who is like the split personality of Nao. Both boys have alter personalities that present themselves at various times throughout the anime. While Nao has Ran (a quirky, hyper active, love struck, submissive character), Sora has Yoru who is a typical, dominant, "seme", partner  in love to Ran. 

It's an interesting aspect to the anime that always sent me careening with their appearance. At times it is a bit hard to follow because of the change being so sporadic but it is easy to adjust. I was always anxiously awaiting their appearances anyhow after their first time showing up since I favoured those personages... 

Following these two complicated boys, though, are a few highly important supporting characters that both contribute to the concept of the beginning of their friendship and the outcomes afterwards. These characters are, Matsuri (a charismatic classmate of the two boys with long blonde hair and a knack for messing in affairs that aren't his own, but with that huge heart that allows him to care for everyone), Nanami (an overly effeminate, school nurse who is also the adoptive parent to Sora), Minato (the attitude filled, protective, math teacher, partnered to Nanami and adoptive father to Sora), and of course, there is the antagonist of the anime, named Aizawa who is the reason behind the whole issue of the anime.

Together, this group of characters lets you explore in a world of love, friendship and heart ache as well as anger and much more. I'll let you ride the story waves yourself if you so choose to watch this anime (and I strongly recommend you do). There is just the right amount of suspense and comedy and fluffy romance to satisfy all those shonen-ai lovers. 

The art is very nice, there was nothing I disliked about it except for maybe the hair styles of the characters (especially Nao's) as I'm not a fan of rat tails on anyone, but other than that it was exceptional. The voice actors were superb and the creators of the anime took care with details. This anime kept me captivated throughout the whole series.

In all, I would rate this anime 8/10. 

Though it was a great story and I enjoyed it immensely, the ending was lacking. I was highly disappointed with how the whole story wrapped up. There was an unfinished business to the story that I am not particularly fond of. 

It is still great, however, and I strongly recommend it to anyone with a taste for drama and shonen-ai. 

Link to episodes can be found here: Sukysho Episodes (English Dubbed) Full Series

No comments:

Post a Comment