About Me

My photo
The name of the game is "Talk". The player is Jann. The challenger is you. You ask questions, I answer. I share my interests, and you express opinions. I agree or disagree, you place a rebuttal. If you don't like what I have to say, I don't much care, but debating might be fun.

Tuesday 30 October 2012

[MUSIC REVIEW] 1 2 3 4 - Lee Hi (이하이)

Before reading this review, please watch the MV: 1 2 3 4 - Lee Hi

(Lee Hi - YG Entertainment)

It is rare that I listen to a rookie these days, whether it be a solo singer or a group. The big 3 companies don`t even have my interest any more, what with all the groups making their debut these days. The only reason I discovered Lee Hi (whose debut was not long ago) was because she was the student of Simon and Martina (eatyourkimchi.com). I am so happy I gave this rookie a chance, though. 

YG is already known for taking in only the most unique of vocalists and dancers. I admire them greatly for not picking out any talent (though this isn't an accusal of other companies doing so). They certainly hit the jackpot with Lee Hi who brings a unique quality with her voice and her borderline seductive look and young age.

Considering she has only just begun in her career, I don't have many criticisms to make. I will not start on a negative note, however, as I really do love her too much to put a bad idea into people's heads. 

Lee Hi is still a young girl, hardly 20 if I recall the articles from All Kpop, and yet she already has achieved more with her voice than many, many other artists I listen to. The very first time I heard her song the first thing I thought was that she had a voice very similar to Adele's (in case some aren't familiar with her, she is a British singer who has been having great success around the world. Take a listen here). Although I'm not a fan of Adele, I cannot deny that she has supreme vocal stills and Lee Hi's style resembles her greatly. Not only does the feel of her debut song go along the same feel as Adele's works but their voices both have this raw, deep and strong quality to them. The song isn't your typical bouncy, dance track that most groups are producing now; there is a sultry tone in there that has you snapping your fingers and bobbing your head as you just jam out to the music.

The song itself is really catchy, with prominent nuances in her voice and moments where the style changes drastically and a chorus that you're singing despite not even knowing the lyrics (if you're too lazy to learn them like me). You can't help but nod along and count with Lee Hi as she sings because her voice is so alluring. She's able to change pitch so smoothly, going from the deeper ranges to this full blown high note that she can hold well without faltering. 

I love the combination of the jazzy and pop feel that YG has given her for her first song.

As much as I love the song, though, every great thing has its bad things. I find Lee Hi has a surprising amount of talent and so much promise for the future, but she is young and, obviously, she is not done learning. 

The video I found was a bit too mature to match Lee Hi. Though her voice sounds like something beyond her years, she still needs to work on her physical presence. It is not her look that makes her look young (because I think the stylists nailed the innocent-with-subtle-seduction look), but the way she acts and dances. Clearly the focus is meant to be on her voice but, as we all know, a great artist needs to be rounded in all corners of performance. Meaning that a great voice will not cut it forever. 

I'm sure with time that she will better herself and improve in her stage presence, focusing on putting more emotion into her movement (dancing and acting) so that it matches the fluxes in her voice.

Of course, Lee Hi is young and still has a vast future ahead of her. With due time I'm sure she'll learn how to explore with her voice, body and presence and if she keeps at it and YG continues to produce songs as great as these to show case her voice then she should succeed in her career as well as any other credible artist.

Over all, Lee Hi brings a unique twist to K-pop with her sassy, classy and jazzy song. It's lack of dance doesn't matter all that much as she stuns with her mature voice and with practice she will surely become a star.

Total Rating: 8/10

1 comment:

  1. 1xbet korean | legalbet.co.kr
    1xbet korean. All sports 1xbet apps in our Сasino. 1xbet korean. All sports in our Сasino. All sports in our Сasino.

    ReplyDelete