About Me

My photo
The name of the game is "Talk". The player is Jann. The challenger is you. You ask questions, I answer. I share my interests, and you express opinions. I agree or disagree, you place a rebuttal. If you don't like what I have to say, I don't much care, but debating might be fun.

Sunday 7 August 2011

Mr. Simple- 슈퍼주니어 (Super Junior) MUSIC REVIEW

Before you start reading this review, go watch and listen to the music video here: Mr. Simple- 슈퍼주니어 (Super Junior)


Super Junior (Left to Right: DongHae,KyuHyun, HeeChul, EunHyuk, LeeTeuk, RyeoWook, ShinDong, SiWon, SungMin, YeSung)

Super Junior debuted November 6, 2005 (save for KyuHyun who didn't debut until May 23, 2006) under SM Entertainment (the same company that SHINee, f(x), SNSD, DBSK and CSJH the Grace is under).

They are a total of 13 members (if I can remember correctly) but at the time of Mr. Simple (which is now), they are a grand total of only 10 members and here are their profiles (I will be using the most recent pictures I can find, which will be their Mr. Simple pictures):


Name: Park JungSu (박 정수)
Stage Name: LeeTeuk
Position: Leader, sub vocals
Birthday: July 1, 1983
Height: 178cm (5'8")
Weight: 59kg (130lbs)
Name: Kim HeeChul (김 희철)
Position: Sub leader, sub vocals, rapper
Birthday: July 10, 1983
Height: 179cm (5'9")
Weight: 60kg (132lbs)


Name: Kim JongWoon (김 정움)
Stage Name: YeSung
Position: Lead vocals
Birthday: August 24, 1984
Height: 178cm (5'8")
Weight: 64kg (141lbs)


Name: Shin DongHee (신 더히)
Stage Name: ShinDong (신덩)
Position: Rapper
Birthday: September 28, 1985
Height: 178cm (5'8")
Weight: 90kg (198lbs)
Name: Lee SungMin (이 성민)
Position: Main vocals
Birthday: January 1, 1986
Height: 175cm (5'7")
Weight: 57kg (126lbs)

Name: Lee HyukJae (이 혁재)
Stage Name: EunHyuk (은혁)
Position: Rapper, sub vocals
Birthday: April 4, 1986
Height: 176cm (5'8")
Weight: 58kg (128lbs)

Name: Lee DongHae (이 덩해)
Position: Rapper, sub vocals
Birthday: October 16, 1986
Height: 176cm (5'8")
Weight: 60kg (132lbs)


Name: Choi SiWon (최시완)
Position: Sub vocals
Birthday: February 10, 1987
Height: 185cm (6'1")
Weight: 65kg (143lbs)

Name: RyeoWook
Position: Main vocals
Birthday: June 21, 1987
Height: 173cm (5'7")
Weight: 58kg (128lbs)


Name: Cho KyuHyun (초 규현)
Position: Main vocals
Birthday: February 3, 1988
Height: 180cm (5'9")
Weight: 68kg (150lbs)

There were other members and there are sub groups but since this is a Mr. Simple review, I'm not going to go into those details.

First off, I'd like to say that the song itself is ridiculously catchy. I find myself walking or writing and I'll just be going 'Bwara Mr. Simple Simple' over and over again and then I'll start making up lyrics because I haven't memorized these ones yet so I'll just say anything that sounds familiar to it.

I was expecting the video to be a bit better, though. All those teaser photos were bright and colorful so I thought the video was going to be all bright and colorful. It would have been a nice change, too, since their other hit songs have music videos that are quite dark (i.e. Sorry Sorry and Bonamana). The dance was a bit mediocre and it seemed like a lot of the moves were the same as Sorry Sorry, Bonamana and even Roly Poly?

I know it's not just me that thinks this. There are several elements to Mr. Simple that are similar to their previous hits. I'm not saying it's a bad song (everyone knows I'm in love with it) but it's not... Special?

If you can't see and hear what I'm seeing then try following these observations I've remarked:

The 'ddanddaranddan, ddanddaranddan, ddanddaranddan, ddadaddarabba' from Bonamana and the chorus of Mr. Simple have similar tunes.

At 1:53 in the music video (Mr. Simple- Super Junior), is that not the same move from Sorry Sorry?

At 1:59 in the music video ((Mr. Simple- Super Junior), is that not the same move from Roly Poly by T-Ara (at 1:11 - Roly Poly- T-Ara)?

Are those head bobs not the same from Bonamana?

And the background. Is that not the same kind of flashy white that we see in Bonamana? And Sorry Sorry? You stick the backgrounds from those two music videos and BAM you have Mr. Simple's background. And there was no story line or whatsoever to the music video... Not that you could really make a story line to go with Mr. Simple but couldn't they have at least lingered on the close ups a bit longer and made them do something more than just stand there, singing and looking beautiful?

At least their outfits are colorful and EunHyuk is sporting some hair that is totally going on my 'Hot Blonde Asians' wall in my room, but other than that I am quite disappointed in this music video and song.

Although the music video disappointed, I still kind of like Super Junior's live performances. Especially when they do their Super Man thing. Check a few of them out:


The Super Man performances I will never be able to stop squealing over... EunHyuk's, DongHae's and ShinDong's raps kill me every single time I hear them. It's amazing. And the way HeeChul's always just 'I'm too cool for school' always kills me. I love watching them perform live.

I know many ELF's will find this and find me completely ridiculous for pointing out some slight failures in a Super Junior song but I am merely stating an opinion, and my opinion of this song and video is that it could have been better.

All in all, Mr. Simple is an extremely catchy song with a good beat and will get stuck in your head for days, but it could have been better. I'm sorry SuJu but I just can't give you a high mark for this one.

FINAL RATING: 5/10

But to make up for that, why don't we show case those amazing YouTuber's again? There aren't many covers up yet, since the song is relatively new, but I'll be sure to add my favourites once I find them. Here are my favourites for now:

Dance Covers:
GROUPS


SOLOS

Vocal Covers
GROUPS
(none yet, but there are plenty asking for auditions)

SOLOS


Oher Covers:

No comments:

Post a Comment